I've had a Cisco 887 Router lying around gathering dust for a while and thought I'd put it to use as a VDSL Modem, replacing the existing Openreach box. In theory this will give me more visibility on line stats allowing me to do more logging and troubleshooting.
I tried it a while ago but had some MTU issues so it was banished back into storage. My ISP, Plusnet support 'Baby Jumbos' of 1508 Bytes which allows for a 1500 Byte frame + 8 Bytes of PPPoE overhead, so this time I configured the relelvant interfaces with a 1508 Byte MTU and its working nicely.
The configuration is pretty basic, partly due to limitations of the router. Ethernet0 (The DSL port) has a subinterface for Vlan 101 which is required by the VDSL infrastructure supplied by Plusnet / BT. Vlans 1 and 101 are transparently bridged to allow PPPoE passthrough, and I've added an IP on the bridge for management with some access lists for security.
The configuration is below. I can't make any guarantees it will work or it's secure, and I've redacted some of the sensitive information. Hopefully someone will find it useful or make suggestions for improvements.
N.B I formatted the above with hilite.me